Friday, August 31, 2012

Peek at the Week - Week of August 27th



Peek at the Week - Week of August 27th 

My oh my, it's been a busy week and as I look at this Labor Day weekend, it's even more jam-packed. I'm planning on giving the summer of 2012 the best send off I can this weekend.  It really has been a fabulous one, but I of course am thrilled for my favorite season soon to come, fall. 



The Taste, which is the L.A. Times food and wine festival is underway this weekend. For a die hard KCRW listener, the event on Saturday with Johnathan Gold and Evan Kleiman is thrilling! 




At the bottom of my stair workout in my neighborhood, the Heywood Grilled Cheese Shoppe directly sits. This is proof that the diet gods are very, very malicious but we all knew that. Heywood just opened back in June, I need to make it in on a cheat day to try their classic and gourmet style grilled cheese sandwiches. I've been eyeballing their menu that includes a vegan grilled cheese and the Muy Caliente - pepper jack, jalapenos, fresh cream cheese and tortilla strips on sourdough- oh so enticing. They are also now open until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. I'll report back as soon as these grilled cheese desires of mine have been fulfilled. 


 


I'm not exaggerating when I say that every weekend in L.A. offers something great for music lovers. This weekend is FYF Fest that is sure to be awesome with such a great line up. 




This past Sunday, I really felt like a true grown up. Todd and I had a marvelous dinner at the home of our dear friends (the cutest recent newlyweds)  Phil and Nicole. Phil had a lovely bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label that he so generously shared with us while we all laughed late into the night. I love scotch but after my palate has been so spoiled with Blue Label, its so hard to think of drinking any other blend. 
Sigh, thus is life.  



One of my weeknight meals this week was Aloo Gobi, an Indian cauliflower and potato dish. It called for a long list of spices, which I admit, I have a very extensive spice collection but this recipe called for black mustard seeds which I did not have. Off to the Spice Station I went. This spice market is literally right down the street from me, located on Sunset Boulevard and tucked away behind a beautiful little courtyard. When you enter the store, it is a real delight, hundreds of spices, stored in beautiful jars displayed on shelved walls. An excellent source for your spice needs! 


Have an excellent and safe Labor Day weekend everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment